Who is a Chest physician/ Pulmonologist/ Lung specialist?
Dr. Parthiv Shah is a chest physician in Mumbai. Not to be confused with a cardiologist a chest physician is a doctor of the lung along with the respiratory tract starting from your nose to the lungs including, the nasopharynx, trachea, bronchus, and alveoli of the lung.
While a cardiologist deals with the heart, pericardium, and the vessels of the heart.
The lungs are spongy structures well protected by the ribs and the sternum, a chest physician deals will all diseases related to the lungs.
Why is a chest physician more relevant in today’s time?
Earlier pulmonary medicine was not specialized and generalist MD medicine doctors would handle most of the cases of lung diseases.
With the plethora of respiratory ailments in today’s world, extensive research and innovation have taken place in the field of respiratory medicine.
Also, modern lifestyles smoking, pollution, infectious respiratory pathogens, increased antibiotic-resistant bugs have made respiratory physicians a vital clog in healthcare.
It is beyond the scope of a generalist to look at all issues pertaining to the respiratory system, thus the branch of respiratory medicine has evolved.
When do you see a respiratory medicine specialist?
- When you have any breathing issue be it
- Heaviness of breath
- Feeling short of breath after routine work or activity
- Chest tightness
- Excessive snoring
- Noisy breathing
There are various causing of difficulty in breathing from asthma to COPD to emphysema and pneumonia, OSA, etc. You will probably need a thorough examination along with a Pulmonary function test to come to a definite diagnosis by a chest physician in Mumbai.
- Known case of asthma, children of asthma parents
Generally, asthma can run in families, you want to make sure that your child gets early and best treatment if he/she shows any breathing issues in childhood.
- Having chronic cough and blood in sputum could be a sign of TB or bronchitis and should never be ignored.
- Have a high Hemoglobin level accidentally found out, can be due to OSA, obstructive sleep apnoea which needs further evaluation by a sleep study. Symptoms such as noisy breathing while asleep, shortness of breath during sleep, and waking up tired after the night’s sleep should not be ignored as there is a risk of heart disease.
- You have been diagnosed with Tuberculosis or had a lymph node FNAC done and it shows TB. Definitely, a must-visit to the chest physician for definite and regular treatment with Anti Koch Treatment (AKT).
- You have been regularly having episodes of sneezing, stuffy nose which could be a case of allergy to common household items. An ignored allergy can give rise to asthma later in life. This also warrants a visit to a chest physician in Mumbai or in your city.
- Those suffering from serious breathing issue or lung cancer
- Chest X-ray shows pneumonia or its patches.
- Pleural effusion patients (water in the lungs) need to visit a chest physician for pleural tapping and subsequent treatment.
What does a chest physician do?
- Treats common respiratory diseases like allergy, asthma, bronchitis, pleural effusion, Bronchiectasis, COPD, etc
- Conducts PFT testing (lung function tests)
- Performs procedure to remove water from lung (pleural tapping)
- Does bronchoscopy procedure to diagnose and treat respiratory disease by a biopsy.
- Does allergy testing.
- Teaches correct breathing techniques and rehabilitation services.
- Foreign body removal from the respiratory system.